These Banana Upside Down Muffins turned out positively delicious. I love upside down desserts, the way the sugar caramelizes and just melts in your mouth. Adding the fabulous flavor of bananas to the mix was just icing on the… muffin!
BANANA UPSIDE DOWN MUFFINS
On a side note, there was an error in this recipe in the book. I contacted Chef Mani Niall through his website and he was super nice and very helpful with straightening things out. The recipe below is correct.
As you’ll see from the picture below, I did have a couple of casualties when inverting the pan.
I love pineapple upside down cake and I love bananas. So when I saw the name of this recipe I knew it would be something I would enjoy. Even the kids liked the flavor of these muffins! So if you are like me and you get tired of making banana bread, try this delicious recipe on for size. These are perfect breakfast or brunch muffins!
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark muscovado or brown sugar, packed (I used dark brown sugar)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, preferably organic
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark muscovado or brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 F. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare the pans, place 2 teaspoons of the butter and 2 teaspoons of the brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Bake until the mixture in each cup is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Peel the bananas and cut them on a diagonal into 48 thin slices. In each muffin cup, place two banana slices on the bottom and two banana slices along the sides.
You can find complete recipes of this BANANA UPSIDE DOWN MUFFINS in amandascookin.com