I was going to call these blueberry breakfast bars. Or blueberry snack bars.
But anytime you feel like eating juicy blueberries with buttery oat crumbles is the kind of bar they are.
It’s an easy, one bowl, no mixer recipe that takes just minutes to make. I adapted the recipe from Blueberry Pie Bars by reducing some of the flour and adding oats to the crust and crumble mixture. The oats add such great texture.
The crust and crumble topping are one in the same. Love it when that happens so there’s one less step and one less bowl to wash.
I eliminated the Greek yogurt, sugar, and egg from the filling and kept the focus on the blueberries.
The bars aren’t overly sweet and the blueberry flavor shines beautifully, which is why they’re great for breakfast, brunch, snacks, or a healthy dessert.
They’re soft and tender, yet slightly chewy from the oats, and I’m a sucker for anything with a crumble topping.
My daughter said they’re one of the best ‘desserts’ I’ve made in a long time. I made the bars on a Sunday and had breakfast ready to grab-and-go for her for the week. One less thing to worry about on busy weekday mornings. Loved that.
Crust and Crumble Topping
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned whole-rolled oats (don’t use quick cook or instant, they’re finer and behave like flour and will make mixture too dry)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 12 ounces (2 cups) blueberries (fresh or frozen; I used frozen and didn’t thaw)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Lining the pan helps with cleanup and is recommended.
- Crust and Crumble Topping – In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Add the flour, oats, sugars, optional salt, and stir to combine. Mixture will be dry and sandy with some larger, well-formed crumble pieces.
- Set 1 heaping cup mixture aside to be sprinkled on later as crumble topping.
You can find complete recipes of this BLUEBERRY OATMEAL CRUMBLE BARS in averiecooks.com